Unless stated otherwise, all poetry on Swimming in Lines of Haiku is Copyright Kirsten Cliff and may not be reprinted in any form without written permission from the author. kirsten(DOT)cliff(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Saturday, October 1, 2011

September Round-Up - An Inspiration of Cherry Blossoms

Two activities hit my personal poetry Refresh button in September: an afternoon with my local poetry group 'Pacific Poets' in Papamoa and a brief spot of cherry blossom viewing in Greerton Village. I came back reinvigorated from both with a steady flow of poetry for days afterwards. It always amazes me how a small change in my routine or environment can make such a positive difference to my writing. I'm grateful to have been well enough to appreciate the experience.

Here's how I'm doing on my 2011 goal of submitting poetry to a publication or competition every week:
  • week thirty-five - submitted ten haiku to The Heron's Nest, awaiting outcome
  • week thirty-six - submitted ten tanka to Notes from the Gean, one tanka accepted!
  • week thirty-seven - submitted ten haiku to Notes from the Gean, one haiku accepted!
  • AND submitted six tanka to Simply Haiku (first time submitting here), two tanka accepted!
  • week thirty-eight - submitted two haiku to the HIA Contest
  • week thirty-nine - submitted ten haiku to DailyHaiku (first time submitting here), awaiting outcome
Lots of submitting this month, but not much coming out as Notes from the Gean and haijinx are still working on getting their respective issues out. I look forward to seeing my poetry in these journals, both for the first time, in a matter of days; and in Chrysanthemum and Simply Haiku in mid October, also both for the first time.

At the beginning of September I had one haiku appear in The Heron's Nest, an image feature as cover art on Kokako and my first haikai column in a fine line. I've been working on my second column throughout September and am almost ready to put it to bed. Happy October 1st all and a warm welcome to my new readers!

Greerton Village Square - September 27, 2011
Both photos by Kirsten Cliff

No comments:

Post a Comment